Q.

I entered in the market in Nov 2005 with Rs. 5 lakhs and determined to be long term invester. When I looked at my porfolio in Feb 2007 it was around Rs. 20 lakhs. That means I had 300% gain. I have IFCI, SAIL, ISPIND, DLF, UNITEC, Infy etc. I just continued to hold keeping in mind that I am an investor not a trader.

My portfolio is now 5% down from my original investment in 2005 down around 75% from the peak. It is around 4.7 to 2.8 lakhs now. I feel as if I am fool now. popular wrong montra of so called experts and brokers are long term.

Asked by Muthu, 09 Dec '08 08:52 am

1.

Yes,still long term means keep watching and selling
not just holding on infinitely
Answered by anil garg, 22 Mar '11 06:04 pm

(0)
 (0)
2.

K.Ramalingam, Financial Consultant, Chennai.
ramalingam_007@rediffmail.com, M: 09282116652

You need to be a long term playerin hte market. No doubt about it. But you need to actively manage your portfolio. It is better if you outsourch this management to some good Mutual fund or Portfolio management service provider.

The stock which had good potential in 2005 need not be having the same potential in 2008. There could be some other companies with good potential now. So a portfolio revamp is necessary ateast once in a year.
Answered by RAMALINGAM, 09 Dec '08 10:47 am

(0)
 (0)
3.

First thing u keep in mind dear SHARE KOI PYAAR MOHABBAT KARANE KI CHIZ NAHI HAI-WHENEVER OR WATEVER PROFIT U EARNED YOU FIRST BOOK YOR PROFIT. 2NDLY KEEP YOR PORTFOILO WITH FUNDAMENTALY GOOD STOCKS NOT SPECULATIVE STOCKS LIKE ISPAT, IFCI ectc
NOW U DOONLY ONE THING BECAUSE NOWADAYS MKT IS RANGE BOUND THAT'S Y YOU SOLD YOR SHARES ON HIGHER SIDE THEN AGAIN BUY IT IN LOWER SIDE for example sell ISPAT IN 11-12Rs. then again buy it in 9-10 rs. level sell unitech & 33-34 or 38-40 or 55-60 level then again buy it in 23-24 or 29-30 or 35-40 level
Answered by udit Daharwal, 09 Dec '08 10:16 am

(0)
 (0)
4.

It is sure, the market will climb all the way it came down. No need to worry, now the market is consolidating at 8500 to 9500 levels. After 6 months it will start climbing slowly
Answered by Raghesh Mony, 09 Dec '08 09:55 am

(0)
 (0)
5.

You have waited for long time. one year and 3 months is really very long period. actually it is very good that you have waited so long. have any body asked you not to sell when it was reached 20 lakhs. I thing you are very greedy and waited for your portfolio to grow till 40 laksh. if you are a shrewd investor you should have sold all the stocks at that time and should wait for a fall like this. in the market we are making ourselves clever or fool.
Answered by shanmugam, 09 Dec '08 09:40 am

(0)
 (0)
6.

Hold on for another 3-4 years, you will get profit
Answered by PARTHA CHOWDHURY, 09 Dec '08 09:40 am

(0)
 (0)
7.

You could have saved yourself from the feeling of becoming a fool had you have sold 50% of all your stocks in the month of Feb.2007, thus harvesting Rs. 10,00,000 ie. 200% of yoiur basic sum investment in a 15 months time. The rest would have taken care of itself! But you have already missed the train!
Ok, now you can do some very urgent things as follows in order to save your basic investment and also increase the posssibility of quick recovery of your investment with reasonable profits!
You make it a point to buy more of the same shares and add to the existing stock! Thus you will be able to average out and in a few months time from now when the markets bounces back and the rates of the scrips would start running too far and too fast you may strategise to do what , as I have said you, you have missed!
Do it and be happy in your investment and prove to yourself and to all that you are a wise investor!
Yes, thats it!
Answered by bazaar badsah, 09 Dec '08 09:33 am

(0)
 (0)
8.

Moral of the story is ,boot the profits periodically
Answered by ramesh reddy, 09 Dec '08 09:27 am

(0)
 (0)
9.

Thanks for sharing your Experience. I will advice you to hold your position for another two or three yrs so that u can accumalate handsome return from your investment . One can learn from his mistake that to much
greedyness is also a Failure in life .
Answered by vishnu, 09 Dec '08 09:26 am

(0)
 (0)
10.

You determined to remain as a long term invester by your own, now why do you find fault with the so called experts and brokers.
Answered by vijayan menon, 09 Dec '08 09:25 am

(0)
 (0)