Q.

What in your opinion, India would be, had British not ruled us for 150 years ?

Your unprejudiced / unbiased essays required.

Pls remember, every coin has two sides. So u gotta strech your imagination & draw a picture of India that had no past of a British rule.

Iamginory question so, imaginory answers welcome.

Cocktail Raj

Tags: years, india, pls
Asked by Cocktail, 08 Apr '08 04:18 pm

1.

Shall I give you my honest opinion Cocktail? Don't lynch me.
Without the British India would have been like Afghanistan.. a conglomeration of independent states each one ruled by a different ruler.. With the chiefs meeting once in a while..to discuss matters of mutual interest.
The idea of nationhood and democracy along with liberty, fraternity and equality came to India only through western ideas and thoughts..
'don't believe me? Ask any historian. < Visit the History Department of Mumbai University and confirm my words.
Answered by joyoti sen, 08 Apr '08 09:16 pm

(3)
 (0)
2.

India never invaded any country in her last 10,000 years of history and she has the longest history of the foreign rules other than that of Indian natives. The foreigners had always taken and enjoyed the most of advantages by ruling India in their own way.

However, if Inida were not ruled by the British, the most parts of India would still be under the empire of the powerful Mughals and there would be other small countries also formed within India. And also, India never would be split like Pakistan or any other neighbouing countries of today which had been once undivided part of India. Even the practice of "Sati " might not able to stop in the country.

Moreover, we would never see the great freedom fighters and leaders such as Mahatma Gandhi, Jawahar Lal Nehru, Subhash Chandra Bose, Dadabhai Naoroji, Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Gopal Krishna Gokhale, Acharya Vinoba Bhave, Bhagat Singh, etc.
Answered by Joseph Chacko, 09 Apr '08 09:01 am

(2)
 (0)
3.

Sai Ram. No time to write essays! And as you already mentioned, every coin has two sides. First of all, we would not have India of today since all the princely states would have probably continued. India would not be a global IT power. India would not have made so much progress in industry.

Other side: Our culture would have been better preserved. However, before the British, there were the French, the Dutch, the Portugese etc., and before them the Mughals, and still earlier, other invaders. So, our culture is any way an amalgam of all the inhabitants and the invaders.
Answered by Venkateswaraswamy Swarna, 10 Apr '08 10:11 am

(1)
 (0)
4.

Let us see what is the contribution of British rule. Without them India would not have been modernized. Their rule had affected the entire Indian continent. Moghal rule would have plunged India into a chaos. Indian rulers would have fought among themselves and some other country would have usurped the power in their hands.
if we study the history of western India before 1817 or of the Punjab in the eighteenth century then we could realize that the biggest gift of the British to India is universal peace or freedom from foreign invasion and internal disorder.

Modern India owes everything to Renaissance which marked our nineteenth century. The renaissance was at first an intellectual awakening and influenced our literature, education, thought, and art, but in the next generation it became a moral force and reformed our society And religion. Still later, in the third generation from its commencement, it has led to the beginning of the economic modernization of India.

Answered by Jack Johnson, 08 Apr '08 05:08 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

The first thing is, There wont be any India but many small countries like Cholas, Pandyas, Mughals etc etc. But it does not mean there wont be any progress. We were the people who have done business all over the world, have built a dam which is doing fine until today, found the democratic process of election etc etc. Like the very rich and developed small nations there might have many very advanced rich nations. And in fact I believe we were better off than of now in all fields with little chaos.
Answered by Josna, 01 May '10 10:55 pm

(0)
 (0)
6.

Let me clear in the beginning itself that I am not advocating British Raj but to me Today india should be thankful to them

The British installed a rail system (which we still using today)
They gave us banks.
They trained most of our early scholars (Ghandi was qualified as a lawyer in a british university).

I think its safe to say that what British did for our country they have discredited by the attrocities, but WE wouldn't have electric, the internet, a computer without the advances THEY gave US.

Britain dragged a barren country like India 200 years ahead of itself during the empire and if you watch the documentaries, it doesn't appear that a great deal has changed since.
Answered by ankit shivam, 08 Apr '08 04:39 pm

(7)
 (1)
7.

# If not for british,....we wouldnt have had the great leaders who cultivated pride and patriotism...the spirit of unity was sowed to fight the british rule which has sustained inspite of innumerable efforts to spoil it.

# Geographical boundaries would be different.....we would be much much smaller with several smaller nations...some of which could have been among the super powers.......there are still people here who want to have a piece of india for themselves.,,,

# We would still have no trains or roads....today we hv the worlds second largest railway network thanks to the British

# Education & English language....we wouldnt have known it.if it had not been included in our system of education..today we have a common language with the world....British introduced the modern education system for their selfish interest but it proved beneficial for us in the long run to be at par with the rest of the world.

Answered by sumitha, 08 Apr '08 05:17 pm

(5)
 (0)
8.

KHALLI VALLI British Raj..........................................................
I dont see India lagging behind if Britishers wouldnt had invaded. I mean the whole world has progressed in the last 5 decades or so, n so could we have. If the Britishers werent there, is it that we couldnt had learned English......??? or we couldnt had moved places........??? or Trains or Flights wouldnt had came to existance in our Country..........??? No Dear, No. I'm sorry for those people who think so like this. India was rich in wealth n treasures before the Britishers looted us. We could had bend the whole world in our knees by now.
Answered by Nisha Kulkarni, 08 Apr '08 06:43 pm

(4)
 (0)
9.

"Be proud that you are indian,proudly claim that i am an indian,every indian is my brother "
By Swami Vivekanand
You know Raj i m really laughing after reading some of d anses of this ques.We Indians are really very low pitched.We need to develop a superiority complex like other nationals.
As far as my knowledge of history is concerned i think britishers ruled us directly under their authority for 90 years only(1858-1947).Before that they were settled to Bengal n some southern territories only.It was Dalhousie who started occupying Indian states by his policies but not before 1848.
Now coming to the point,one can say that they gave us railways,airways,science n technology,police n military system,judiciary,govt,education system etc.But here d question is abt their will.were they willing to develop our country?They did all these things for their own profit.even congress was formed as a safety valve to defend d empire from unrest like 1857.not only this their land reform settlements ...more
Answered by prashant sharma, 09 Apr '08 11:17 am

(3)
 (0)
10.

I will begin with one line "THE TRAGEDY OF MARATHAS AT PANIPAT IN 1761 WAS IN EFFECT THE TRAGEDY OF INDIA". Go deep into the consequences of the defeat and you would have no choice other than agreeing to the fact that, with thIS defeat Hindustan lost all chances of ever being unified as one nation, which made the task of British much easier in unifying this subcontinent effectively under their rule.

How I wish Sadashivrao Bhau of the Marathas had forged a stronger alliance with other rulers and how much I wish, he had not left his supply lines unguared that left it to being cut off by the Afghans, which finally led to serious problems in maintaining a large army and how I wish the Maratha Chiefs kept their own ambitions in check and fought against a common enemy first and then got back to their internal bickerings. Causes are many for this defeat but the ultimate result was the same. THE LAST CHANCE OF A INDIGENOUS RULE IN INDIA WAS SEALED FOR EVER with this defeat which had come 4 ...more
Answered by Omega, 08 Apr '08 08:08 pm

(2)
 (0)

Q.

Answered by bhaskar erram