Q.

Give a summary of "the ghat of the only world"

Tags: law & legal
Asked by mizba jabeen, 02 Jan '12 04:13 pm

1.

The Ghat of the only world is a beautifully warm piece of personal criticism, almost in the manner of the Romantic Essayists where writer Amitav Ghosh responds not only to the world of Agha Shahid Ali's lilting verse but also the poet himself and his personal experience of sahred moments with him.

The title of the piece echoes Ali's famous collection-The Country Without A Post-Office. It is a homage to Ali the poet and the person, a poignant obituary that presents to us a very poignant vision of death. An ailing Ali's remark to the hospital man about learning Spanish to read Lorca is as moving as it can possibly get. The uncertainty of the final sleep tragically lingers.
Critically speaking, it is a very interesting analysis of Ali's poetry, his experience as a diasporic poet who kept constructing an imaginary homeland through his verse, his double-bind in his relation to Kashmir and its problematic topology and above all his desire to die in his homeland, which was not to be.
Answered by aflatoon, 02 Jan '12 04:17 pm

(0)
 (0)
2.

T first time that Agha Shahid Ali spoke to me about his approaching
death was on April . The conversation began routinely. I had telephoned to remind him that we had been invited to a friends house for
lunch and that I was going to come by his apartment to pick him up.
Although he had been under treatment for cancer for some fourteen
months, Shahid was still on his feet and perfectly lucid, except for
occasional lapses of memory. I heard him thumbing through his engagement book and then suddenly he said: Oh dear. I cant see a thing.
There was a brief pause and then he added: I hope this doesnt mean
that Im dying
Although Shahid and I had talked a great deal over the last many
Answered by afsa kausar, 02 Jan '12 04:16 pm

(0)
 (0)