Q.

My husband registered for an online course with one of the Educational institute in UK.They charged a VAT in addition to the course fee.One of my friend told that VAT can be refunded if we are not residing in UK.Is it possible to get back the VAT we paid.If so what is the procedure?

Tags: husband, friend, uk
Asked by sangeetha perumal, 26 Sep '07 02:25 pm

1.

Information is not enough. Location? Is that professional course or not? Is it ordered from UK or from your residing country?

VAT would be charged because the product is either brought in or ordered from UK. VAT in UK mostly applicable depending upon the residing country. Example, there are some exemptions on VAT prices between EU & Non-EU nations. The current rate of VAT is 17.5%. There are certain processes involved for a VAT Refund Scheme filing. I am not a specialist with the UK laws. But there are 2 options available for you.

Write to that Educational Institute
Or, get in touch with UK authorities

=> http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/menus/contactus.shtml
Answered by Sukhoi, 26 Sep '07 11:29 pm

(0)
 (0)
2.

It is quite difficult for we people to guide u through all this with exact 100% true knowledge and procedure and ultimately u have to carry out the legal procedure to solve ur query.OK

As per the official website of UK VAT law-----

supplies are outside the scope of VAT if they are:
1. made outside the UK and Isle of Man
2. not made in the course of business.
hence u can be exempted ,but this is only the half story,,

VAT is payable if:
1. by a taxable person
2. in the course of a business
3. are not specifically exempted or zero-rated.
now VAT should be paid if it is made in the course of business and as per the website----Business includes-:
"The way in which self-employed people carrying on any trade, vocation or profession,"
Answered by Ahmad Omar, 27 Sep '07 11:35 pm

(0)
 (0)
3.

One needs to know the provisions of the relevant Act/Law in UK to answer this question. Meanwhile I may suggest that you find out if other instituions in UK are also charging it from the students from foreign countries.
Answered by Anil K Chugh, 26 Sep '07 05:23 pm

(0)
 (0)
4.

call me I will tell you?
Answered by Narendra Naik, 26 Sep '07 02:28 pm

(0)
 (0)