Q.

Listen --what a husband says of his wife --
my biggest debt by far is , to my wife Olivia, not only did she twice encourage ( or rather order ) me to continue when, in black moments , i decided to throw the whole thing in , she also read and edited each day's work , put up with tantrums, picked up the pieces, made encouraging noises,-------the book City of Djinns quite literally , never have been completed without her. I dedicate it to Olivia with love and affection and a big hug ---William Dalrymple --in Acknowledgements------
Q--is --Is it often --a husband says this of his wife or rar

Asked by Wife Supreme, 04 May '09 04:02 pm

1.

Husband and wife becomes interdependent .
The bond makes them so emotinal even in front of God they wish for the Happiness of their spouse on priority.
Therefore no wonder in acknowledging like that.
It's not rare...It's natural.
Answered by anantharaman, 05 May '09 10:29 am

(1)
 (0)
2.

Even in a normal world where working hours are limited to 8-9 hours, many are self centered, insecure, jealous and so selfish that they forget that their husband is also living being. if he is a full time writer/ traveller or an artist i guess life would be a hell and we see many families fallen apart. Man needs support of their wife and that'll ease up his ladder to success and same from husband to wife. my experience is that he do put in words or deeds his appreciation and its an elixir that keep me going.
Answered by Kalyani, 06 May '09 05:57 pm

(0)
 (0)
3.

There are rare wives who do these rare activities which gives the rare opportunity for their husbands to become rare species to thanks their wives in a rarest manner... But its also true that the wives always support their husband if not interfere in their work without getting quoted... Even taking their husband successfully through his worst days remain unaccounted, uncounted and unappreciated... So if a husband says so...it means either his wife is has done the majority of task by giving piece of papers or peace of mind...
Answered by sanjay sharma, 04 May '09 04:24 pm

(4)
 (0)
4.

My experience has been that men are far more forthcoming in their acknowledgement of the role of their wife than their female counterparts...atleast in public. For all we know, Olivia wud have been a shrew and this is one way of pacifying her to make up for the days Dalrymple ignored her immersed in his own writitngs :))
Answered by sumitha, 04 May '09 09:50 pm

(2)
 (0)
5.

Wow!! I never thought that Mr. Dalrymple is such a nice person after reading his couple of books. :))
This shows the gratefulness of a man to his woman who supports him unconditonally. For her, it does not matter that the going is tough, things will worsen. The only thing which matter is that she is there to support him. And I do not think that we males are able enough to repay their debts.

According to me, it is not about how often or rarely you say such things. The most important thing is how often I show her that she is special, that I love, I care, I am grateful, I am blessed with her presence in my life and I need her. For doing this, you may or may not use words. Words are too good to convey your feelings but they are not enough. Even useless when emotions flows swiftly and strongly. In such cases, love is to be felt.
Answered by prashant sharma, 04 May '09 09:34 pm

(2)
 (0)
6.

After reading your question I understood the significance of the truth mentioned in the Bible in the book of Genesis. God took out a rib out of Adam's rib and fashioned it into a woman. Thereafter, every woman has played an important role in her man's life. She has been providing him the much needed support. Without her the man is incomplete. All women have been doing the same thing what Olivia did to her husband William Dalrymple. Some do the way Olivia did and some do it tacitly. There is no gainsaying that they all do. Then not all men are like William Dalrympl. Not all of them acknowledge it the way he did. Many take their wives as granted. Some even look down upon them. Those who do appreciate them she turns them into great men, like it is said behind every great man is a great woman. Now I know why not all men are great like William Dalrymple.
Answered by Jack Johnson, 04 May '09 07:03 pm

(2)
 (0)
7.

Nothing great here. I too have been praised and I am sure every hubby does it.
Answered by gem mina, 04 May '09 06:54 pm

(2)
 (0)
8.

Beta ji, zinda rehna ho toh aisa bolna padta hai
Answered by mani nayyar, 04 May '09 04:52 pm

(2)
 (0)
9.

Itna lamba English padne ke liye toe mujhe English channel paar karna padega. Jee, mujhe maaf kar dijiye. Namaste.
Answered by Indra Datta, 04 May '09 04:39 pm

(2)
 (0)
10.

William Dalrymple is a famous historian and travel writer. So obviously he must be busy with his writing and traveling, may not be getting enough time with his family, his beloved wife Olivia Fraser, who is also an artist, and three children. After all behind every successful man there will be a woman, no matter who she is, all the husbands acknowledges as their wives, to avoid chaos and troubles. Now-a-days most of the authors dedicate their work to their love/wife, who is the real sufferer behind the effort. Nobody can complete a classique work without proper inspirations and support, which only a sincere wife can provide. If the work becomes a real success credit goes to the author, not to his wife, or anybody off screen.So husband has to express his dedication sincerely atleast in words, to make up for the tough time the couple had to pass through in completing the work. My hubby is an expert in doing that. Most of the time I get to know his regards and appreciation towards me thr ...more
Answered by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 05 May '09 10:42 am

(1)
 (0)