Q.

"I'm proud to say that my father and husband were brave police officers who sacrificed their lives for mother country, and now I'm no way going to prevent my son from being a brave soldier" - these are words of the wife of a brave police officer who sacrificed his life saving us on the day of Mumbai massacre. She continued with moist eyes "He used to tell me that when he is in uniform he belongs to the nation". Even after the whole series of tragedy in her home she is brave enough with her resolution to make her son also a courageous soldier. What are we doing for these great

Tags: mumbai, son, relationships
Asked by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 27 Nov '09 11:51 am

1.

Long time back, I had written this on my blog after refusing an invitation to join a protest march :-

"I would have been going because events such as these force me to remember why life itself is so very important. I would be attending as a show of solidarity, to demonstrate my own emotions, to try and come to terms with my role as a citizen of a state that has no respect for its people. I was unconvinced that a protest would help me with those goals. I decided that the best way I could respond to life being taken from those people would be to pay very careful attention to my own life and remember the beauty I encounter every day, to reflect on the wonder of the world that no amount of violence can ever truly kill, to sit with my family and talk about the ongoing happenings, but also to sit with my family and talk about our own lives. Because on a day when the very existence of many human beings is threatened, on a day when thousands around the world are dying, on a day that is rea ...more
Answered by prashant sharma, 28 Nov '09 05:54 pm

(3)
 (0)
2.

I'll quote Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan's father Mr. K Unnikrishnan, retired ISRO official. Maj.Sandeep was the hero of 26/11 resistance attack against terrorists in Mumbai and laid down his life for the country and countrymen.

We were in B'lore last year when 26/11 had happened and the way he had bravely taken up this loss of HIS ONLY SON... He had reacted sharply only when politicians had come to his home with TV crew & other media. He had shooed the opportunistic politicians away. He meets all common people from all over the country who come to meet him after hearing about his son's bravery... but not politicians.

His father revealed the indifference they received at the hands of the politicians after the death of his son.
Answered by rajneesh Rediff, 27 Nov '09 04:05 pm

(3)
 (0)
3.

The problem with our country is that we all have a short memory for anything, be it the people who lost their lives in their line of duty or be it a great slap on our face like the Parliament attack or the Mumbai attack or the Bhopal Tragedy or the Upahaar tragedy. When everything settles down to normalcy, all the candlelight vigil people have gone home, people get down to continue with their normal life and everything that happened becomes a topic of animated discussion till even that interest dies down as they are overtaken by their own day to day problems.

The less said about the Govt. with the kind of complacency with which they choose to deal with issues of national importance. We don't even have the will to carry forward a persecution to its logical end. The convicted of the Parliament attack are now a tool for political expediency with so called leaders of political parties shamelessly forgetting what is their integrity to the nation and mired in the narrow mind set that eac ...more
Answered by Omega, 28 Nov '09 02:46 pm

(2)
 (0)
4.

We are proud of such great families who have sacrificed everything for the nation. I bow,n,salute each one of them. I am reminded of a grand lady whom I met durung my internship with a leading bank.I happened to meet Smt Veermati who was there to collect 2 pensions...for her husband,nd son who sacrificrd their lives for the nation during 1962,nd,1971 wars. I knowing this went to her and touched her feet, then I enquried whether she would still wish to send her grand childern to the forces.A proud mother said that her husband got Vir Chakra,nd,son Mahavir Chakra...now her only desire is that her grandson or grand daughter who are serving Indian Army,nd Air Force should get Param Vir Chakra to the family. She told that as per their family records their family has been serving the nation since 1700.They are Rajputs belonging to Mewadi Clan...nd were in the Royal Army of Maharana Pratap ! For several years I was in touch with them.....nd joined the family in their grief when came to know ...more
Answered by UMESH SHARMA, 29 Nov '09 06:33 am

(1)
 (0)
5.

I called on Idea so that the charges proceeded towards those policemen...did u..:))
Answered by sumita ganguly, 29 Nov '09 12:07 am

(1)
 (0)
6.

I would call the wife of the officer the ''true daughter of the soil''....., her words indicate that she is the epitome of courage and gallantry..; the loss of her husband in the 'war of terror' did not deter her from her unwavering determination of sending her son to the same 'Jaws of Death'......;

thus, we have nothing except paying our sincere homage to such great souls, who lay down their precious lives for the life and honour of their motherland and our hearts get filled with admiration and pride for their wives, who possess unshaken determination and an unconditional patriotism and an attitude of sacrifice...........
Answered by minati vishwakarma, 28 Nov '09 09:35 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

A salute
Answered by pramod rajapurkar, 28 Nov '09 03:56 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

I share your concern and the appreciation of the lady.
But I want to add something. Her father, her husband and her son they are all different individuals who are supposed to have different values, priorities and convictions. But in this sequence of cases, the lady can be proud of the fact the men were brave, noble and sacrificing. The men could be different also putting the lady in shame. It is her matter of good fortune that she got such men as her closest male relations.

Coming to the son also, it depends purely on the son what he likes to be in his career. The mother, perhaps does not have any role in deciding that. She should not be influencing also. If the son decides to become a police officer like his father and grand father, let him. But he cannot be turned into a great police officer simply by mother's influence or father/ grand father's examples. I don't agree with the mother's resolution to make her son also a courageous Police Officer/ soldier . She can just say - ...more
Answered by soumyen sarkar, 28 Nov '09 01:49 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

I have great respect towards them and my salute to this partriots and their supporting family by chosing and supporting the field of protecting our great country.
Answered by peekay first, 28 Nov '09 01:47 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

As we know one's life is invaluable.....for the sake of the nation, life sacrificed by a soldier can never be indemnified, but unfortunately, even efforts are not put by us in this regard....I think we do nothing in honour of these precious people of a nation....Its sad indeed...
Answered by bijoy agarwala, 27 Nov '09 05:45 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

The father of Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan over-reacted as witnessed on Televison channels. Major Sandeep was the only son of his parents. He joined NDA..more

Answered by RAJU APPUKUTTAN