Q.

Do you have any funny experiences with miscommunication./ communication gap.. due to language barrier or something u totally misunderstood... Pls Share...thanks

Tags: money, relationships, share
Asked by sumitha, 18 Feb '10 08:46 pm

1.

Too many incidents to quote here because it happens to me every single day - Mr. R. is convinced that he and I speak an entirely different language due to the misinterprepation between us all of the time !!
Answered by Janis, 18 Feb '10 11:48 pm

(1)
 (0)

2.

There are many funny experiences of miscommunication happened to my relatives. I will narrate three of such incidents. And I had fun time teasing them, along with my sister and cousins...:))
It was during my daughter's birth, all my relatives came to my native home to see the baby. The baby was lying in the front room. And we all were getting ready for some function. My cousin didn't have her breakfast and my aunt, her mom, was calling her to have food, from the front room. In between he saw my baby doing potty. Here goes her dialogue along with monologue: "Daughter .......[oh baby did potty].....come and have it when it is still hot...." My cousin who was near me, bewildered like anything !!!
*************************************************************** ***************************************
Answered by Muktha Radhakrishnan, 19 Feb '10 10:19 am

(2)
 (0)
3.

I was in Paris and I entered a restaurant for a meal. My friends did not have the local currency and so they were refused. They went back to the hotel and I waited for the service guy to attend to me. But no one came. There was a French couple sitting at the next table and they saw concern on my face. They started talking to me in French. I told them I did not know French but to my luck they knew English. They asked the waiter why he had not attended to me and for that he said that he was waiting for my friends to return with the local currency.(translated by this couple) I had that currency and then I was given a good deal. This couple even offered to pay for my food which I politely refused but they did give me a free bottle of mineral water.
Answered by gem mina, 20 Feb '10 05:48 pm

(1)
 (1)
4.

Inspite of the fact that so many increasingly communication devices are being invented and are put to use, I think since recent past people have been forced to opt for simplex mode of communnication though they always want those to be duplex...out of so called stress, no body in fact is willing to listen you wid clarity...and they are creating hazards in undrstaning each other....personally , I have a command over languages , namely, Assamese, Bengali, Hindi and English and to some extent the language of Nagaland and Nepali....so if I have to deal wid others who is not strong enough in these language , then I always find myself in the receiving end...and there the misunderstanding arises...

Answered by bijoy agarwala, 19 Feb '10 05:53 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

Yeah...had this experience recently...wen two ppl were trying to make use of the translating softwares available on net n copying n pasting in comments...n the resultant was a disastrous gibberish language.
It wasnt funny actually...the matter that was being said cud be deciphered...but the whole scene will look absolutely rockkingly funny to anyone...I happened to be there n really enjoyed myself...:))))
Answered by sumita ganguly, 18 Feb '10 11:27 pm

(1)
 (0)
6.

Yes,First time in Maharashtra,Nagpur went from Railway station to Airport in an AutoRickshaw and the driver on reaching asked for AKRA rupiya,I told him rate is only 10 or 11 rupees why should I pay you 18 rupees .I was not aware that akraa means 11 in Marathi.One fellow marathi passenger nearby saved the day
Answered by indrajeet, 18 Feb '10 09:53 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

Dear Sumitha,
Good evening,
I have had a very very funny incident due to language barrier, not that I misunderstood but I didn't understand at the time when I had just been transferred to Chennai some four years ago. I almost knew no Tamil except for some common words like Tanni ( water ), Nalla ( Good ), Thambi ( brother ) etc. My younger son was some six months old. In the ground floor of our apartment, a Tamil family , husband- wife and his mother stayed.The old lady would always say after seeing my son - Naai paiyaan, Naai paiyaan. I considered it as a compliment for my son. On the naming ceremony of her grand child which fell only after almost four months of our stay, I bought the most expensive just born child stuff as gift to the new born, presented it to them after feast and not knowing how to compliment the new parents and grand mother , very earnestly and cheerfully in my sweetest voice I blurted... Naai Paiyaan, Romba Naai paiyaan.. and to my amazement, I saw some angry a ...more
Answered by prabhat kumar kumar, 18 Feb '10 09:28 pm

(1)
 (0)
8.

One Sardarji asked a porter in Chennai station about an address in typical Punjabi.
The porter humbly asked in Tamil, 'Tamil teri maa' ?
Meaning 'do you understand Tamil ?
The Sardarji misunderstood it and lost his temper. He shouted back, 'oyaa, Tamil meri maa hain toh Punjabi tera baap'.
Answered by Prakash Chandra, 18 Feb '10 09:19 pm

(1)
 (0)
9.

Yes. But that was not at all funny. Because there was a logic reason of language barrier. The funny thing is the mis communication / communication gap between the people of known language. When we talk about Sky, they will answer about Sea. When we try to make them understand, they will argue like anything. Then will go at any extend to prove that the sky is not existing in this world and the reality is sea only.
Answered by Masquer, 18 Feb '10 09:12 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

Ahhhhh recently just a few days back an extremely attractive subordinate of mine looked me in eye on a random occasion and asked me, 'How do you find me'? 'Do you like me'? For a moment I was taken aback, but understood her question, what she wanted to ask was, do you find my work satisfactory, would you recommend me to other managers for other assignments? Well I provided her the feedback and once over dinner, explained her to pose her question in a bit more professional manner, so that it wont be construe in wrong way.. ufff an potentially embarrassing situation avoided by quick thinking
Answered by Ashok Maurya, 18 Feb '10 09:05 pm

(1)
 (0)