Q.

Today being Lord Shiva's Mahashivratri is der do u knw Shiv Chalisa as I pray every day since I am his staunch believer. Let me tell u in brief

"Oh Lord, when I am in distress, neither my parents, bros, sisters nor loved ones can relieve my suffering.I depend only on U. U r my hope.Eliminate d cause of this tremendous torture n bless me with Your compassion. "
I believe as per Hindu shastra that "Aatma jalaye bina Parmatma nahi milte" Today is my strictest fast I observe of not having water,milk, lassi, fruits not even I gulp my spit also as I respect him a lot
Hve u tken fast & do u

Asked by cyrus irani, 23 Feb '09 07:30 pm

1.

Simply wonderful. You know There are God Like Vishnu, who are not worshipped by some demons, Yakshas, etc. But Lord Shiva is Mahadev, and even Rakshas, Daityas, Yakshas, Gandharvs and Humans, not only that the animals, plants etc also worship Him. He blesses everyone, and one gets the supreme Knowledge and liberation by worshipping Lord Shiva, even if one may not wish. I was very happy when read your q. Thanks.
Answered by vinay vaidya, 23 Feb '09 08:24 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

Its gud to read translation. I have taken fast.. taking it from eversince i was in school. may b std 1 or std 5.. dont remember exactly.
Answered by madhavi, 12 Mar '09 06:37 am

(1)
 (0)
3.

No.I had full feast.mahashirathri being a wedding anniversary of lord shiva and Paru I pray for the blessings of Lord to keep all who weds like he has love with parvathi ji. Todays many problems are due to household tangles with improper understanding between couples.Shiv parvathi jaisa sub rahe tho Duniya kyo na heaven banjaye
Answered by Narayana Raja, 25 Feb '09 11:38 am

(1)
 (0)
4.

Fasting is not prescribed in any of the Hindu scriptures. Neither the Veda's, Upanishads nor any of the Smritis like Manu Smriti advocate fasting. . Hinduism is totally against hunger in any form. In Hindu shastra not only living beings should not stay without food even the dead person's soul needs to be fed by way of 'Shard' ceremonies. There is one school of thought in Hinduism which says when a person fast's his mind will be only on the thought that he is fasting and suffering and in the process mind gets deviated from thought about God The concept of fasting in Hinduism is a recent adaptation. It could have possibly originated in the medieval period as an influence of Islamic culture on Hinduism. This could be the reason why fasting for festival is more prevalent in northern part of the country (where the Islamic influence was more) than in Southern part of the country. Actually in Hinduism the practice during festival was not to have the prasad till the puja was over. As for ot ...more
Answered by Shyam, 24 Feb '09 01:32 pm

(1)
 (0)
5.

It is your choice. u do whatever u feel like . if u publicise the same you dont get any godly benefits. such things are best kept to yourself. worship is between you and God and not between you and public
Answered by iqbal seth, 23 Feb '09 07:33 pm

(1)
 (0)

Q.

This is holiday for me and my sons 2nd birthday on this day of Maha shivaratri..more

Answered by joyesh chakraborty