Q.

TRUTH SPEAK : "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius..."
Do you agree with this?
How comfortable you are in appreciating genius/talent/good work when you see it?

Tags: relationships, careers, education
Asked by shintsie, 04 Mar '10 06:42 pm

1.

Yes . We are tolerant, tolerant to an extend where a handful of fundamentalists can do havoc with geniuses and drive them away from their motherland. It is said , not only doing evil is evil but not protesting when that happens is also evil. In that sense we all are to be blamed for this tolerance you mentioned.
Without differentiating genius or layman I always appreciate and accolade a person if he impresses me with his doing in any field.
Answered by Josna, 04 Mar '10 07:04 pm

(2)
 (0)
2.

You are right. It takes a genius to appreciate a genius. A stupid cant tolerate a genius.
Answered by Lumpen, 04 Mar '10 06:59 pm

(3)
 (1)
3.

..a1 This is nothing new, and has happened many times in the past history:

i will give two example:

1. Oscar Wilde (1854 1900) (whom you have quoted here and who is probably not connected to Oscar awards in any way),
was Irish writer, poet and prominent aesthete..
Known for his biting wit, flamboyant dress, and glittering conversation, Wilde had become one of the most well-known personalities of his day..
At the height of his fame and success, he suffered a dramatic downfall in a sensational series of trials.
Wilde was imprisoned for two years' hard labour after being convicted of "gross indecency" with other men.
Answered by M H Kisan, 05 Mar '10 08:21 am

(2)
 (0)
4.

Shintz, it is now more than one year that I told them, that I can not be dictated to. But, they have not understood it. Such is their wisdom. They just refuse yo use their mind. So much blinded they are. I do not know what have they gained. Even an average person will see your answers and be impressed, but not these people.
Answered by kishore malhotra, 04 Mar '10 09:46 pm

(2)
 (0)
5.

Part I: Public tolerance sucks. It is not tolerance in the real sense. It is a combination of ignorance and cowardice. The ground reality tells a lot about the ability of the public to decide who genius is and who is not. Public is mediocre. India never had any genuine genius because it never encouraged one. Genius migrated especially to the West and U.S. Of course, we also see a few exceptions of late. Part II: Good news is that public is waking up slowly and recognizes the relevance and importance of talent whatever left behind. The spectacular growth of last two decades could be attributed to the contributions of the talented people who stayed in India and worked hard to make a difference and I have no problem in giving credit which they rightfully deserve.
Answered by Tony Fernandez, 04 Mar '10 07:06 pm

(2)
 (0)
6.

Greatness is measured by your kindness; your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others !!
Answered by Oberoi, 04 Mar '10 06:54 pm

(2)
 (0)
7.

Seeing genius is subjective. A genius in a particular field may not be able to be acceptable in some other walk of life. Genius in a person, per se is always respected.
Answered by dvnm sharma, 04 Mar '10 06:51 pm

(2)
 (0)
8.

I do agree to this. The main reason is jealousy and some people cannot digest the fact that there are some real geniuses, some real knowledgeable people, some real wise people way ahead of them.

As for me I do appreciate whenever I feel that this genius/talent/good work deserves my appreciation and there is nothing uncomfortable in that to me. For example I give UV silently to some answers here which I like very much and which I feel is much better expressed than my own. I vote silently and don't comment in this context because sometimes it feels as if I am gate crashing into a good conversation between the questioner and the answerer.

Whenever I appreciate it comes naturally to me.
Answered by Mitali Choudhury, 05 Mar '10 02:41 pm

(1)
 (1)
9.

Yes. I too think the same way. Public is wonderfully tolerant for common persons. But not for a genius. Whatever is invented by a genius, or said by him is criticized such vehemently by some, all join the tirade. And this is not in India only.. It is universal. Since long.. I will give example of Socrates. He was a great philosopher. Advocated many genius thoughts Then some 'powerful' people found faults in his Moral Teachings.. He was jailed, compelled to take poison.This happened in 470 BC. Quite old, yet his Moral teachings are supposed to be the greatest in the world. Copernicus had no scientific facilities. But that genius found new things in the sky. Galileo invented Telescope, and saw, Copernicus was right. He proved the existence of planets. Even showed it through his telescope... But some jealous people branded him as anti religion. He was tortured. These are only a few examples. If searched, many such examples will be found in every field. Be it Science, Economics, o ...more
Answered by subhash, 05 Mar '10 09:37 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

Yes I fully endorse your views
Answered by rajnikant raiyarela, 04 Mar '10 08:41 pm

(1)
 (0)