Q.

Dilemma No:1: The pavement opposite my house was hawker free until, I saw a Bhayia enchroaching it with his merchandise of vegetables in last couple of days.
Today, my 1 phone call to the authorities is enough to evict him immediately. My inaction on the other hand can attract more such hawkers that might ultimately lead to enchroachment of entire footpath & then even my 100 calls to civic authorities will not reverse the damage. What shud I do ? Be a good citizen & protect that public place fm becoming a hawkers plaza or evict that lonely Bhaiya & deprive him & his family of their bread ?

Tags: house, damage, shud
Asked by Cocktail, 22 Jan '08 12:52 pm

1.

You have asked a valid question Raj. The pavement is meant for pedestrians and not for hawkers. They occupy it illegally. Once they proliferate there will be no space left for the pedestrians to walk and they will be forced to use the road, and thus endanger their own lives. If we compare two situations pedestrians' life is more impartant then depriving his family of their bread. We have a tendencey to allow hawker's to proliferate out of state of complacency and sense of defeatism. If you discourage him today he will be forced to do something better than what he is doing now. He is selling the goods on the pavement because it is an easier way out. It is not a small problem. The people living in the area will have to be mobilized to stop this menace. Since he happens to be right in front of your house, you alone will have to take the initiative.
Answered by Jack Johnson, 22 Jan '08 03:08 pm

(1)
 (0)
2.

There are two aspects for the menace of hawkers
1) I hate not only hawkers but shops in vicinity of schools-selling JUNK FOODS.
2) I will have a sympathy for the hawkers who are selling merchandise of everyday use - may be vegetables or small things of daily use.
Answered by PANIWALA A, 28 Jan '08 08:18 pm

(0)
 (0)
3.

Be a good citizen
Answered by Anil K Chugh, 25 Jan '08 06:59 pm

(0)
 (0)
4.

I think people of your area should jontly boycott his merchandise in order to evict him from there.
Answered by Joseph Chacko, 24 Jan '08 09:40 pm

(0)
 (0)
5.

Quite simply he should not be there - the pavement is not a market place. Let him remain and you open the floodgates for others. You did the correct thing in letting the authorities deal with the situation. There is nothing worse or dangerous than trying to negotiate a pavement that is blocked by hawkers and people surrounding his stall. You did the right thing the hawker will have enough wits to find another place.
Answered by Janis, 22 Jan '08 02:06 pm

(0)
 (0)
6.

Evict the hawker. They are just free loaders who have no respect for rules and regulations. In the name of poverty and earning ones bread they tread and capture all urban areas. Over a period of time they make it their feifdom and then eventually cause undue stress and chaos and inconvenience to the general public. And to top it all they also eagerly look forward to resettlement to a new dwelling under some idiotic Urban Dwelling Scheme. All this whilst the geenral tax paying public obeys rules and lives a decent LIFE. If India has to progress as a truly developed economy then one and all must obey rules and not look for a free lunch. If we put our foot down and say NO to such free-loading only then can we have a true developed India which is all set to be a Urban India
Answered by Saj Sierra, 22 Jan '08 01:17 pm

(0)
 (0)
7.

One of the greatest confusion people confront in social life is the " fear of not being kind and compassionate to so called poor". When this fear takes over u may even forget that u dont even hold the right to be lenient. If the hawker has occupied ur house, wud u think of being compassionate or lenient?
In the instant case, the footpath belongs to Govt. You have no right to allow or disallow the hawkers occupation. The hawker does this with the connivence of the police or panchayat or local dada or a political party. So, the hawker is not alone, nor is he poor or helpless as u imagine. Many antisocial elements are working for his bribe. It is govts duty to interefere which they have not done for obvious reasons. As a citizen it is ur duty to complain !
Answered by Shunmugham, 22 Jan '08 07:35 pm

(2)
 (0)
8.

Raj, a very difficult situation to be in. I understand what you must be going through.
I think he needs to be removed from there, just for the sake of everything, the society, residents, illegal stake, his(bhaiyya) future, etc. but, Firstly Raj I beleive, you should have a talk with that Bhaiyya. Try to convince him to move without any kinda voilence taking place. If he doesnt, then the authorities should take care.
And I read a comment of ur's(I think in gem mina's answer) that will God punish me for this? No Raj, ur'nt committing a crime or doing some evil. This is just for the sake of goodness of society ur taking this step.
Answered by Nisha Kulkarni, 22 Jan '08 01:37 pm

(2)
 (0)
9.

You might have observed,
their 'lobby' is more powerful
than the civic authorities....
Answered by AYYAMPALAYAM RAGHAVENDRARAO, 23 Jan '08 03:13 pm

(1)
 (0)
10.

Hi:
In my opinion, please go ahead and have the person evicted. The footpath is for every individual to use and it should not be cornered by one person for his pecuniary gains. And you are right, what is going to happen if tomorrow the whole place is choked by hawkers?
Please nip the bud immediately. If the police is not taking appropriate action, do not hesitate to form an association and make a representation to the police. Even if that does not suffice, petition the commissioner of Police. That should yield a proper solution.
Even post that if you don't receive a proper solution, I can help you more, as I have been through these situations before
Regards
Subash
Answered by P.Subash Kumar, 23 Jan '08 12:23 pm

(1)
 (0)