Q.

I am living in UK and I know good english verbaly but I have a problem in speaking proper english. I seem to not be able to use proper conjutions in my sentences only when speaking. I try to speak to my family in english but they keep on correcting me in my sentences. How can i improve?

Tags: problem, family, uk
Asked by KIrti, 07 Mar '07 12:56 am

1.

FOLLOW Advise given by Charanpreet Singh, Director, Formal Education, IMS i.e.
1) Read more. Not just newspapers and magazines, novels too.
2) Refer to the dictionary and a grammar book (like Wren and Martin), while reading. Make it a habit.
3) Do crosswords. They help to increase one's vocabulary and also urge you to think.
4) Grab every opportunity to speak English -- with friends, colleagues -- even to yourself!
5) Listen to people who speak well. Watching channels like BBC and CNN is a good bet.
For further details visit web page: http://www.rediff.com/getahead/2007/feb/21eng.htm
Answered by PANIWALA A, 07 Mar '07 01:00 am

(0)
 (0)
2.

I am living in UK like any other non-native I initially struggled to converse with people in English. Even though I knew good English, I was tongue-tied many times. I was shy to be a part in the conversation. I then realised that I had start with the English I knew. I started speaking out with short sentences.Everytime I spoke I made it a point to talk slowly and clearly rather than speaking fast and copying the accent from English people. I gave myself a perspective that I speak inorder to have a communication and I should be clear in telling my views in the form of simple sentences. It worked well. I never attempted fake my accent which was several times appreciated by my English friends! In due course I got confidence and I am feeling comfortable with my English now. I should add that listening to the radio also has helped me to understand English better .Don't feel stressed to speak fast and pick up the accent just because some of your friends or fellow Indians does and stop compa ...more
Answered by felicia johnson, 09 Mar '07 06:17 pm

(0)
 (0)
3.

You have reported a universal problem & kudos for that.I'll say that no amount of thinking or dreaming will help you.I am giving you some very practical suggestions.They are:-
(i) Read very elementary english story books.Do not worry about what matches/not matches your age.Just read them & learn how to use prose form or direct form of speech while speaking to others.Please remember that you are clearing a backlog and it takes time,patience so that ultimately you are not worried about impressing others.

(ii) While speaking english do not be extra cautious about using verbs,conjunctions etc.,Tell others that your english is bad and may please be excused for that.However,you must make efforts to put your message accross anyhow.

(iii)Hence,my friend,speak english,right or wrong.Remember,avoidance to attempt to speak the language only increases the fear over & over again.

TRY THIS.YOU ARE NOT FAR OFF FROM THE GOAL.
Answered by Srijit Das, 09 Mar '07 10:49 pm

(0)
 (0)
4.

Refer Oxford dictionary,Read english newspaper,watch english serials,plictures,In UK most of people are english speaking .Talk with them and observe their speech.This way you can correct yourself
Answered by ANURADHA PATHAKJ, 07 Mar '07 11:47 am

(0)
 (0)
5.

You are living in UK. You have plenty of little children around you whose mother tongue is english,\. Talk to them. Play with them. Listen to them. I don't think there is a better way to learn the language, whether it is english or otherwise. When you talk to little children, a fear factor or shy factor is not linvolved. You can conversate without any hesitation. Because they don't criticise you for your errors. You get an opportunity to detect and correct your own errors. With your kind of problem, you are lucky that you are in UK. Within a short time you would feel yourself to be an Englishman. Undoubtedly. Go ahead and get ahead.
Answered by kk Raghavan, 09 Mar '07 03:40 pm

(0)
 (0)
6.

Listen to english programmes on the radio ,practise speaking english without
any nervousness to one and all .Join a public speaking class if u can ;it
will give you lots of practice and also improve your vocabulary...
DO READ THE CLASSIC BOOK ON ENGLISH GRAMMAR BY WREN & MARTIN ,
and Spoken English (Orient Longman Pvt. Ltd.) and Macmillan Handbook of
English
Answered by mani ramaratnam, 07 Mar '07 08:55 am

(0)
 (0)
7.

If u r living in UK and u don"t able to speak proper english then in my openion In future u are not able to do anything.What the hell are u doing in Uk.
Answered by Vishu gupta, 09 Mar '07 05:00 pm

(0)
 (0)
8.

Hello Dear, first you have to think in english what you want to tell, dont think your regional language, just think in engilsh, then you can see your english will be improve.
Answered by Amitabh Mallik, 09 Mar '07 07:32 pm

(0)
 (0)
9.

read carefully Oxford dictionary,Read english newspaper,watch english serials,plictures,In UK most of people are english speaking .Talk with them and observe their speech.This way you can correct yourself
Answered by rajiv sharma, 10 Mar '07 10:41 am

(0)
 (0)
10.

The best solution is to start thinking in English rather than in your mother tongue. That might be the issue. Listening to those having good communication skills helps a lot. Also watch the interviews on TV. Broaden up your vocabulary by reading a lot.
Answered by bindu bhaskar, 09 Mar '07 06:23 pm

(0)
 (0)

Q.

FOLLOW Advise given by Charanpreet Singh, Director, Formal Education, IMS i.e. 1) Read more. Not just newspapers and magazines, novels too. 2) Refer t..more

Answered by PANIWALA A