What do you think of the SMS style of writing...do you think this shortening of words is here to stay or is it a passing fad.
Abbrevations were internationally accepted in our shipping industry when we used to communicated by telex where each extra word / minute was considered costly. To give u an example of chartering of ship; I will cite this example ;
- 10,000 mt bgd sbm s/f 68' wog
- 1-2 sb Mum / 1 sb Spore
- L/D 1200t pwwd shex / fhex eiu bends
- Dem 3500 hd wts bends
Abv lines mean;
- 10,000 metric tons bagged Soya Bean Meal, stowage factor 68 cubic feet without gurantee.
- 1 or safe berthe Mumbai / 1 safe berth Singapore
- Load/Discharge rate 1200 metric tons per weather working days - sundays & holidays excluded even if used.
- Demurrage $ 3500 per day on working time saved, both ends.
These r just 4 lines. We used make 4 page messages like that on telex & in the case of dispute / arbitration, this language was accepted in the english court of law. With advent of email, there is no need for such abbrevations any more.
Rgds / Cocktail Raj