Q.

I have sold out my house at Kerala (say a gain of Rs.30 lakhs). With the proceeds received, I intend to go for purchase of a new/resale flat at Kolkata for Rs.15 Lakhs and also another one at Kerala for say Rs.14 Lakhs. Can I get exemption from capital gains for investment in both places, i.e. one at Kolkata and another one at Kerala ?

Tags: rs, lakhs, kolkata
Asked by TVSeetharaman Raman, 20 May '07 08:23 pm

1.

yes
Answered by PRABIR DATTA, 20 May '07 08:41 pm

(0)
 (0)
2.

The short answer would be "no". However, I am not an expert. Please refer to following expert response to similar question at the following link (I have cut and pasteed the relevant text) ----

http://www.rediff.com/money/2007/jul/09house.htm

To illustrate: Mr A, having a large house, sells it for Rs 2 crore (Rs 20 million) making a capital gain of Rs 1 crore (Rs 10 million). Out of the capital gain of Rs 1 crore, Mr A purchases two flats each of Rs 50 lakh (Rs 5 million) on the seventh and eighth floors of a building within the time laid down by the law.

Strict interpretation of Section 54 leads to the view that Mr A will be entitled to exemption of only Rs 50 lakh being purchase of 'a' residential property on the seventh floor.

Answered by John Noronha, 21 Jul '07 01:47 am

(0)
 (0)