Q.

Have u ever gone abroad? If yes could u please share some interesting experience in terms of communication gap with respect to culture, behaviour, customs?

Asked by Lion Heart, 06 Apr '09 02:31 pm

1.

I have travelled all over the world and experienced many different cultures and tried all sorts of different foods and marvelled at the tremendous landscapes and architecture - travel is the richest experience and brings about a true understanding and appreciation of other nationalities and their culture. I have never had any problems with communication, it's always possible to make yourself understood even if you don't speak the language and if sometimes there is misunderstanding, so what, it's all part of the travel experience !! My best advice to any traveller regarding what to take with you on your travels is to take TOLERANCE ! Without it you are doomed - don't ever expect things to be as they are at home, don't ever expect people to think like you - be open minded and enjoy it. I am going to say something you will not like now - I love India with all my heart which is why I visit so often but of all the countries I have seen India has to be the dirtiest. Sorry but it's true. ...more
Answered by Janis, 06 Apr '09 02:51 pm

(1)
 (0)

2.

I have stayed in different parts of India as well as visited many countries abroad and stayed ,too.Though compared to rules and regulations and also with the matter of littering around India is really bad but still I missed my Indian soil everywhere.It is no doubt very comfortable to stay abroad but the feeling i get in my Motherland gets somewhere lost when I am abroad. Even if we hold the visa or resident status in any country abroad we remain secondary nationals or Foreigners or considered even as migrated Indians in those respective countries.How ever well emplyed or well settled Indians are Indians never lose the Indian Mind and never forget to celebrate diwali ya navaratri. But the exciting thing is that in most countries that I had visited I always found places where I can get Indian food .Apne miti ki khushboo kaise bhoole, jiska dil he Hindustani.
Answered by Rachana, 06 Apr '09 11:08 pm

(1)
 (0)
3.

It all started in aircraft itself. They never had anything called pure veg on board. After reaching my baggage got misplaced. Though, I was lucky to get it after 2 days. Entire trip, I had to stay on fruits, raw vegetables and breads. But, I envied the standards of cleanliness and courteous behaviour I witnessed everywhere. High speeding cars stop to give way to pedastrians even when it is not marked crossing place. India has to catch up in many issues.
Answered by Lucky, 06 Apr '09 02:36 pm

(2)
 (0)
4.

I am a least travelled person as far as International travel is concerned. Been abroad only once to Dubai for a short one week. Since I went towards the end of October, the weather was perfectly fine... didn't suffer any heat strokes. Didn't face any cultural shocks. But was really impressed by the high standard of cleanliness, the standard of roads, the pavements and the adherence to civility and etiquettes by a population which is also predominantly Indian.

Didn't see any spitting around, which even the most cultured out here do without a second thought on even the primary boulevard in the city. No litter around. People take so much pain to ensure that, the trash bag is properly sealed and it is safely placed in those huge containers, instead of the hammer throw practices many practice here as they swing it across their compound wall.

Answered by Omega, 06 Apr '09 08:02 pm

(1)
 (1)
5.

I have covered a good part of India and my first foreign trip was to Nepal where I had to organise a conference for my office which turned out to be an office cum plelasure trip as my husband had accompanied me. The foreign travel bug bit me in such a way that I never looked back. My next trip was to the far east, followed by Europe (7 countries), The US of A, a cruise in the Carribeans by the Sovereign of the Seas a 14 tiered ship having a theme per tier, Canada, Australia and Newzealand. I am still not satiated. Since most of these trips were conducted tours we did not have to face any communication problems nor were there any hassles with regard to bookings as we are normally put up in 5 star hotels. This space is not sufficient to tell you of my experiences but the most memorable one was the Jung Frau in Switzerland where we had the good fortune to walk thru the ice palace. We are taken there by cable cars and then a train ride and as we go up the cable car we hear the fading sound ...more
Answered by gem mina, 06 Apr '09 03:34 pm

(1)
 (1)
6.

No. But my friend told an incident. He went to Thailand. There he wanted to drink fruit juice without ice. He said orange juice without ice. They could not understand. Then he said orange juice no ice. They understood.
Answered by BABUJI, 06 Apr '09 02:35 pm

(1)
 (0)
7.

While i was askinf for the roomkeys in milan ,they could not understand , by chance i said chabi please chabi i want please . they brought tyhe desired keys and said in broken english , this is not key , this is chabi . keys are perhaps knownas chabi in italian language also!
Answered by HARIJIBAN BANERJEE, 11 Sep '09 01:59 pm

(0)
 (0)

Q.

Liberation of Bangladesh was assisted by India to some extent only! In the western sector we had lost about 21000 soldiers, while in the east it was a..more