Q.

Yes, I am preparing for ILETS. How shall I improve my english. I am moderate in english(studied my intials in convent)

Tags: english, convent, ilets
Asked by gautam basu, 12 Mar '07 11:47 pm

1.

Thats fine, IELTS comprises of Listening, Reading, Writing and speaking tests,

1) Be cool- Practice writing and consult any expert or MA in English major degree holder to correct it, It will improve your writing, just go through IELTS 1 to 4 books of Cambridgr publications which comes along with Audio Cd with each book,
2) Practice Listening at home using those Audio CD- u will find it easy, just practice hearing the accent.
3) Reading is quiet tough among the 4 diciplines, hence dont igonre it, try to be aware of more meanings and read news papers , you will improve the reading
5) spaeking you can improve by practice they are liberal they will give you 6 to 6.5 and you will pass, dont worry I took My Ielts few months back it was easy but reading was quiet tough. Best of luck don go to some ordinary institutes which dopnt give proper coaching and cahrge you money preapare with good and Indiviadual attention
Answered by Anil kumar, 12 Mar '07 11:57 pm

(0)
 (0)
2.

First of all do read newspapers daily, this will improve your english, secondly you can watch BBC news so that you can understand the accent, you can also join classes for ielts, one of which is geebee in mumbai. The last thing you can do is buy a book on preparation for ielts, alongwith the book you will get a cd which will help you to understand the english accent.
Answered by sajjad kapadia, 12 Mar '07 11:54 pm

(0)
 (0)
3.

Dear Gautam,

IELTS has four parts.

1. Listening :- You need practice via audio cds. Read questions beforehand and anticipate what you are going to listen and learn to listen for the answer which will be given in the question.Anticipation is the key thing.

2. Reading :- It will be describing a graph,diagram and/or reading a passage.Easiest part.Get the book and get writing practice.

3. Speaking :- Do not speak anything other than English for at least a month before your exam.Try and avoid speaking slang or colloquial English or American English.

4. Writing:- Practice comprehension. Practice description.

General
1. Buy the recommended books.
2. I would rather take the exam than waste my money in a course.
3. Use a formal book like "Wren and Martin" to learn the usage.

I know it is not about me but by using these self devised tricks i got 8.5 overall

regards,

abhay singh
Answered by abhay singh baghel, 13 Mar '07 12:49 am

(0)
 (0)
4.

hi gautam ,preparing for ielts is really encouraging and fun.They will conduct a session b/f the exam do attend the session it will ease u alot.Regardin prep daily listen to british accent for1-2 hrs ,cambridge publishes the material ,get those books and prep as per each test , i think they hav 3 various books esp for IELTS ,practice writing essays as per the booklet ,the imp thing is that comprehension kills time so u shud be on target ,or else u will lose ur way,the faster u read and understand the better it is for u.Read newspaper for 1 hr ,the hindu is really good tom improve the vocabulary skills ,if u can spend 2-3 hrs daily its easy to get thru all the best .
Answered by vijay phanindra, 12 Mar '07 11:58 pm

(0)
 (0)