Q.

With a population of 1.3 billion, there is no reason India should not be pre-eminent in ALL forms of sport.

Where is India ranked in the world of football (soccer)?

Is this support popular in India and, if not, why not?

How could this truly international sport be more effectively promoted to the masses and is there a role for government (both federal and state) in this matter?

Asked by Michael Gamble, 28 May '09 04:08 am

1.

I entirely agree with you about helping India to come up in football. However, I do not agree with blaming government for it or depend ongovernment for its promotion.I feel that we,the citizens,are wanting. We were the toppers in Hockey even before independence when there was no govt. promotion for sport.When Milkha Sgh made a good show at the Berliin Olym;pics there was notg govt. erncouragement for sports. In fact he almost missed the event for want of money for the ticket. Butr this urge for excessence issomehow wanting in the youth now. Vigrrous steps should be taken by schools, colleges and youth clubs for promoting the football. Lack of govt. a;pathy was a stock arguments in pre=-independence days also but even then we produced good players. If we keep up the same refrain even now it only exposes our fundamental incompetence.
Answered by radhikamruta, 28 May '09 04:34 am

(0)
 (0)