Using your phone's internet browser
go to:  qna.rediff.com
Click and drag this link to
the Home icon in your browser.
Q.

Is the food cooked in microwave harmful for our health?

Tags: food, health, electronics
Asked by Francisco, 28 Apr '10 12:38 pm
  Invite a friend  |  
  Save  |  
 Earn 10 points for answering
Answer this question  Earn 10 points for answering    
4000 characters remaining  
  
    
Keep me signed inNew User? Sign up

Answers (6)

 
1.

Thats what they say. Since this is one of the very few interesing questions on QnA recently, i will try ans answer this question in some detail

Lets first see how microwaves heat food. They produvce electromagnetic radition. The radition causes all polar molecules within the food (water etc). to align in one direction , just like a needle in a compass,. When this field is removed, the molecules go back to their poistions. In a mocriwave there is a rapidly oscillation field created. So the molecules move very quickly to and fro, which increases their kinetic energy(heat). A quick jump to wiki tells me that frequencty of microwaves is 2.45 gigahertz. That means the molecules are vibrating around 2450000000 times per second.

On high power setting, the magnetic and electric fields are stronger, and hence are capable of altering the atomic structure of individual molecules. This is similar to electrolysis (which we learnt in school) This is similar to eating irraiated food, but on am ...more
Answered by RAJAN MHAMAI, 28 Apr '10 04:12 pm

 
  
Report abuse
Useful
 (2)
Not Useful
 (0)
Your vote on this answer has already been received
2.

Microwave cooking: Its effects on food
Microwave cooking is unhealthy because in the microwave process, vital nutrients needed by the body are destroyed. When we eat microwaved food we are essentially eating dead food. It might taste good but there is no nutritional value.According to a study done by Hans Hertel and Bernard H. Blanc of the Swiss Federal Institute of Biochemistry and the University Institute of Biochemistry from information reported at www.relfe.com/microwave.html microwaving causes a "violent" change in food molecules such as
1) formation of radiolytic compounds
2) leucocytes or white blood cells increase
3) hemoglobin or red blood cells decrease
4) cholesterol levels increase.
These changes are linked to anemia, breakdown in the blood and immune system, and poisoning.
The report included side effects from microwaved food
1) long-term brain damage
2) altered hormone production ...more
Answered by Josna, 28 Apr '10 03:36 pm

 
  
Report abuse
Useful
 (2)
Not Useful
 (0)
Your vote on this answer has already been received
3.

No, but there are some golden rules to follow with microwave cooking. In particular to be aware that the food it is still cooking in the centre when removed from the oven and you must let it stand for 2 - 3 minutes.
Answered by Janis, 28 Apr '10 01:08 pm

 
  
Report abuse
Useful
 (1)
Not Useful
 (0)
Your vote on this answer has already been received
4.

The answers to these questions may shock you into throwing your microwave oven in the trash.

Over 90% of American homes have microwave ovens used for meal preparation. Because microwave ovens are so convenient and energy efficient, as compared to conventional ovens, very few homes or restaurants are without them. In general, people believe that whatever a microwave oven does to foods cooked in it doesn't have any negative effect on either the food or them.

Of course, if microwave ovens were really harmful, our government would never allow them on the market, would they? Would they? Regardless of what has been "officially" released concerning microwave ovens, we have personally stopped using ours based on the research facts outlined in this article.

The purpose of this report is to show proof - evidence - that microwave cooking is not natural, nor healthy, and is far more dangerous to the human body than anyone could imagine.

However, the microwave oven manufacturers, Washin ...more
Answered by saranathan Narasimhan, 28 Apr '10 04:34 pm

 
  
Report abuse
Useful
 (1)
Not Useful
 (0)
Your vote on this answer has already been received
5.

No. but it is better not use microwoven often as this has some rediation
Answered by priti kaur, 28 Apr '10 12:44 pm

 
  
Report abuse
Useful
 (1)
Not Useful
 (0)
Your vote on this answer has already been received
6.

No
Answered by Gunjan Mehra, 28 Apr '10 12:43 pm

 
  
Report abuse
Useful
 (0)
Not Useful
 (0)
Your vote on this answer has already been received

Ask a Question

Get answers from the community

600 characters remaining

Related Answer

Q.
A

Yup ya can very well seek the same.------ Tune into http://smileinseconds.blogspot.com/ ---------..more

Answered by Saj Sierra